Monday, June 4, 2012

New (to us) Table!!

So, I didn't get a chance to post last week....Which means I'll be posting twice this week....yay for whomever reads my blog!...right?

Last Monday I was posting a sale item on this Yard Sale page I am a part of on facebook. As I was scrolling through the page, I came upon a post from a woman selling a wooden table + 6 chairs for $100, and she needed to sell them and get them gone IMMEDIATELY because I guess they were moving that day. I'd been talking to Ryan about getting a new dining set for months because although the one we had was attractive, it was small (only sits 4 people) and a little wobbly (not because it was broken or anything, it was just that the particular metal it's made out of is not all that sturdy when placed on carpet) and I was worrying about when Scarlet becomes mobile (which she now is...rolling and scooting herself everywhere!) and could just picture her knocking into the table or chairs and things just crashing down on top of her...not good.

Ryan's 23rd birthday happened to be on Thursday so I decided that I'd buy that table and chairs and paint and stain everything and he'd come home from work and be surprised by this beautiful "new" table! lol....Here's the before pic of the table:

I personally did not think this table was going to be as gross as it was when I went to pick it up. No offense to the previous owners, but, it really was gnarly lol. The chairs and table legs were covered in nasty goop, animal hair, and had random marks all over them. The tabletop had been sanded to create a distressed look (according to the seller) but really it just had weird sanding on it that just made it look dirty, not distressed lol....My hopes of painting and sanding this table before Ryan getting home were flushed down the drain lol...

When Ryan called me from work later that day, I told him what I did (bought the table and chairs) and what  I'd planned on doing. He seemed kinda iffy about it, but, supported me anyway...He even told me that for his birthday he wanted to help me out! (Despite me constantly saying I wanted to do it by myself haha)...

We borrowed a sander from our friends the Biggs instead of having to do the whole thing by hand (definitely life AND time saver!)

Look at the difference just from sanding!!!!

Ryan did all the sanding and helped me spray paint 3 of the 6 chairs as well as putting the top clear glossy coat on the table. I painted 3 chairs as well as the table base and legs and I did all the staining on the table.



Table and chairs (almost)completely finished (I still need to get 5 more seat cushions to put on the chairs) !!!

 Chairs AFTER painting
 Chairs with their cushions.
Chair on the right BEFORE chair on the left AFTER.

3 comments:

  1. The table looks so good! Way to go. I love before & after pictures. So much fun seeing what you can do with some paint and elbow grease!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That turned out so cute! And for only a hundred bucks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading your blog and so I've nominated you for the Liebster Award! http://andrewandstasia.blogspot.com/2012/06/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete